Breakfast - Śniadanie

Breakfast!  The most important meal of the day.  To the outside world we start our day with a full English here in Blighty.  I know I would every day given half the chance.  Bacon, eggs, sausage, tomatoes, toast... a bit of black pudding if I'm lucky - kaszanka in Polish.  But most days, like most Brits, I will have cereal for breakfast.  How about the Polish, what is a typical breakfast, typowe śniananie?

In my head I have it that a common breakfast is kanapki, what we might call open sandwiches or - if we follow etymological routes - giant canapés (the two words have the same origin, see this post on the origin of the words canapé and kanapka.) or maybe a plate of scrambled eggs, jajecznica.

I remember, as a student on the French exchange, being surprised by how homogenous the world had become.  I naively expected croissant to be the morning plat du jour, but found that breakfast cereals were the thing.  So how about Poland, is it often breakfast cereals to start the day?

The next question is how you prepare your cereal.  This may seem odd, there really isn't much to the preparation of breakfast cereal, hence its popularity.  Convenience is very much its main advantage.  You have cereal.  You have milk.  You put them together in a bowl and you dig in.  Job done.  But out of the two constituent parts, what goes in the bowl first?  Does it matter?  Did you know that there are people who put them into the bowl in a different order than you?  Do you think this to be folly?  It really shouldn't matter.  It's not like we're making a cup of tea here.  We all know there are maniacs out there that put milk and tea in the wrong order.  But it had never occurred to me that people would prepare cereal in a different way until we were talking about an entirely different subject at work.  I can't remember exactly, it was probably whether clotted cream or jam should go on the scone first.  This debate came after the eternal debate over how you pronounce scone.  All I know is: I am correct in that I say scone to rhyme with scone.  Anyway, I was trying to illustrate some point or other by saying,

"It's like breakfast cereal.  It really shouldn't matter what order they go into the bowl, the result is very much the same. BUT, you would think it odd if I put the milk in first."

The English women in work all said, "Yeah that would be weird."

The Polish women in work said, "What?  You put the cereal in first?  That's weird!"

From asking around, it seems that opinion is divided in Poland, some milk first, some last.  Perhaps there's lots of British and Americans who add the milk last too.  Let me know in the comments.  Maybe even share your reasoning for why you are right.  Extra marks if you show your workings and bonus points if you pronounce scone in accordance with the OED and have the jam and cream on in the right order!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To get a cob on - co to znaczy?

Poznańskie Muzeum Pyry - The Poznań Spud Museum

Nail Polish