urlop - leave (masculine noun)

 I have just had a week off work.  Foreign travel was banned, so I did not go anywhere.  

I did not vacate my home.  I was not on vacation.  Nie byłem na wakacjach.

I was on holiday / leave.  Byłem na urlpie.

Declension

casesingularplural
nominativeurlopurlopy
genitiveurlopuurlopów
dativeurlopowiurlopom
accusativeurlopurlopy
instrumentalurlopemurlopami
locativeurlopieurlopach
vocativeurlopieurlopy


Jadę na urlop - I'm going on holiday.
Przydałby mi się jakiś urlop - I could use some time off.
(literally: Some leave would be useful to me)
Here przydałby się is reflexive.  Note that the conjugation of przydać się agrees with the thing that would be useful.  In this case urlop, which is a masculine noun.

Diminutive: urlopik

casesingular
nominativeurlopik
genitiveurlopiku
dativeurlopikowi
accusativeurlopik
instrumentalurlopikiem






Opinion seems divided on whether to use the diminutive incase it sounds too cutesy or not.  

Leave could also be called wolne.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To get a cob on - co to znaczy?

Poznańskie Muzeum Pyry - The Poznań Spud Museum

Nail Polish